Mengo Hospital is situated in Kampala, Uganda. It was opened in 1897 by the Church Mission Society, and was the first Western Hospital in East Africa.
Dr Albert Cook and his wife Katherine were sent out to Uganda from England to equip and train Ugandans to deliver health care services to the people of Uganda. This Christian Missionary Hospital has survived civil war and the dictatorship of Idi Amin, and continues to support the people of Uganda in its original purpose. It was once considered a beacon in Sub-Saharan Africa for its Christian medical treatment and counselling, and has expanded through donations from special interest groups to providing specialised care clinics.
Located on the outskirts of Kampala, Mengo hospital has 300 beds and serves both rural and semi-rural populations, including several slum areas. It has speciality clinics in Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology, Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and Dentistry, as well as a School of Nursing.It is still primarily staffed by Ugandan professionals, but other medical and nursing professionals with Western training also spend time at the hospital in a supportive capacity.
Mengo Hospital's long tradition of providing care to Ugandans is being threatened this millennium by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Treatment and care requirements strain the operating budget. Patients have always been charged modest fees for care, and those sick with AIDS and related infections are unable to afford these charges. Outside help is highly valued and needed in order to continue providing programs and health care services.